Blue Cross Medicare supplement is probably the best known senior health insurance carrier in Georgia but do they offer the best overall value for your money? Seniors on a fixed income have to watch every penny like a hawk and can get taken if they are not careful.
Finding the lowest Medigap rates are important but even more so is matching the right policy with your needs. Here are some things to consider when shopping for the best GA Medicare supplement plans.
- Blue Cross Medicare supplement plans allow you to use any doctor that accepts Medicare assignment
- Most Medicare supplement plans in Georgia are based on issue age. Your rates will not increase due to an age change
- Any supplemental insurance plan approved by the state of Georgia will be “accepted” by your doctor
- Doctors don’t care if you have a Blue Cross Medicare supplement plan or one from AARP, Gerber. Mutual of Omaha or Royal Neighbors. If they accept Medicare they will also accept your Medigap carrier.
- It pays to check your rates at renewal. A Blue Cross Medicare supplement plan that was competitive last year may not be this year.
- You can change your Medicare supplement plan at any time during the year. You don’t have to wait until renewal or the annual enrollment period.
Blue Cross Medicare supplement plans have pockets where their rates shine and areas where other carriers will knock their socks off. Blue Cross Medicare used to own the under age 65 Medicare supplement market but may not have the best rates overall except for the high deductible Medigap plan F.
Online quote engines are nice but many carriers do not allow their rates to be illustrated online. Many times the best rates are found offline through an independent agent.