Georgia Blue Cross Medicare supplement plans from Anthem. What’s new for 2018? SILVER SNEAKERS. How do their Medigap rates look? If you are turning 65 is a Medicare supplement plan right for you? Should you switch from my current supplement plan to Blue Cross? Do I have to wait until open enrollment or can I change plans now? How difficult is it to swap my current Medicare supplement plan for one with BCBSGA/Anthem?
Anthem Blue Cross introduced new Medicare supplement rates for 2018. Some rates went up. Others went down. Anthem is offering Medigap plans A, F, G and N. You must be enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B to purchase a Medicare supplement plan.
Should you switch plans or keep what you have? Questions? Just give us a call. You will never hear Press 1 for English.
2017 Blue Cross Medicare Supplement Surprises
Bob Dylan said “The times are a-changin'” and that is true for the Georgia Blue Medigap plans. Here are some of the things you can expect.
- Silver Sneakers now available on all BCBSGA Medicare supplement plans
- There are NO networks. Use any provider in the state or nationwide
- NO medical underwriting if applying within your initial enrollment period
- Medicare supplement plan G has returned
- Rate discounts may apply if other household members are insured by Blue
- New rate guarantee
How does this differ from the “old” Blue Cross plans? What is unique about BCBS supplement plans vs. what I can get from other carriers? What do I need to know that you aren’t telling me?
New and Improved or Just a New Look?
Don’t you hate it when products come in a new package and the bold print says “NEW LOWER PRICE!“? Looking closer you find the price is lower but you are also getting less. Has Blue Cross reinvented the Medicare supplement plan or is it the same as before, and just like everyone else?
The take away.
- Silver Sneakers has always been available on BCBSGA Medigap plans
- All Medicare supplement plans allow you do use any doctor or hospital. There are NEVER any networks
- Every Medigap carrier must issue a policy to anyone who applies during their initial enrollment period. No one can be turned down.
- Blue offered plan G for many years, then dropped it (along with Hi F) in 2015
- Household discounts are available from most supplement carriers
- The initial rate guarantee is only new to Blue Cross. Almost every other carrier has been doing this for years.
As the song goes, “Everything old is new again”.
The Take Away
Should you buy a Medicare supplement plan from Blue or not? How about changing from the plan you have now?
As with all other decisions about Medicare, the answer is “it depends”.
No one can tell you which plan is best for you. Only you can decide on the path and coverage that fits your needs and budget.
Here is all you need to know about the 2018 Anthem Blue Cross Medicare supplement plans.
- They have the same plans other carriers have, just fewer choices
- All supplement plans with the same assigned letter are identical in every way except the premium.
- Don’t believe me? Look it up in the 2017 Medicare and You handbook. Page 81 under Medigap Policies Are Standardized.
- Any doctor that accepts Medicare will also take your Medigap plan, regardless of the issuing carrier. Blue Cross hasn’t cornered the market on doctors.
- After your initial 12 months Blue Cross can change your rates at any time with 60 days notice
- Your renewal premium may increase because of increases on all BCBSGA plans plus higher rates due to age change
- Most other GA carriers have offered plan G for years. This is the first time in 2 years that Blue has made plan G available. Will they continue to offer it or will it go away again?
- What happens when a plan is discontinued? Most of the time the rates increase at a higher rate than plans that are still offered
Enroll Direct Today
If you want to compare 2018 Blue Cross Medicare supplement plans and rates direct with Blue you can. Review BCBSGA Medigap plans and rates and apply direct. Here you will see Anthem Blue Cross plans A, F, G and N.
You can also see how Blue compares to other GA Medigap carriers. Follow this link to shop and compare GA Medigap plans side by side. At this site you will see about a half a dozen plans from roughly eight carriers. Far less than the 240+ different options available with a detailed report from Georgia Medicare Plans.
Feel free to call and discuss and questions you may have about Medicare. We will quote rates right over the phone and email a report showing all carriers that offer that plan in your area.
#AnthemBlueCrossGeorgiaMedicareSupplement #GeorgiaMedicareSupplementRates #SilverSneakers